· See the “Reynolds Haplotype” tab of the Reynolds-Cooper Y-DNA spreadsheet for haplotypes of the Reynolds family members.
· The Reynolds Patriarch is either Samuel Reynolds, born 1757 South Carolina, died 1845 Tennessee, or one of his immediate ancestors, such as his father or grandfather.
· Jonathan Reynolds, born about 1797 North Carolina, died about 1850 Tennessee, is believed by some to be the son of Samuel Reynolds; the two lived in close proximity much of their lives. The two are clearly related, and if not father-son, may be uncle-nephew, or perhaps cousins.
· David F. Reynolds (kit 20437, Ysearch S5Y63, WTY GRC001105) and Jimmy Lee Reynolds (kit 39441, Ysearch T6XRS) are third cousins, once removed.
· Scott S. Reynolds (kit 66345, Ysearch F6FFN) is descended from Samuel Reynolds, and is no closer than a fifth cousin to Jimmy Lee Reynolds.
· David F. Reynolds is descended from Jonathan Reynolds through his son Charles.
· Jimmy Lee Reynolds is descended from Jonathan Reynolds through his son Emmanuel.
· Given that the MRCA for David, Jimmy, and Scott Reynolds is at best Samuel Reynolds, their haplotypes can be used to derive a haplotype for the Reynolds Patriarch, who may be either Samuel Reynolds, or an immediate ancestor of Samuel.
· The Reynolds Patriarch haplotype matches Scott 135/135, David 132/135, and Jimmy 129/135. These results fall within a reasonable range for the known relationships.
· See the “Cooper Haplotype” tab of the Reynolds-Cooper Y-DNA spreadsheet for haplotypes of the Cooper family members.
· The Cooper Patriarch is Fleet Cooper Sr., born 1721 Pennsylvania, died 1801 North Carolina.
· Hiram B. Cooper Jr. (kit 2751, Ysearch 6FJS5) and Gary W. Cooper (kit 2650, Ysearch ZEXPA) are fifth cousins, once removed.
· Hiram B. Cooper Jr. is descended from Fleet Cooper Sr. through his son Fleet Cooper Jr.
· Gary W. Cooper is descended from Fleet Cooper Sr. through his son John Cooper.
· Given that the MRCA for Hiram B. Cooper Jr. and Gary W. Cooper is Fleet Cooper Sr., their haplotypes can be used to derive a haplotype for Fleet Cooper Sr., referred to as the Cooper Patriarch haplotype.
· The Cooper Patriarch haplotype matches Hiram B. Cooper Jr. 111/111 and Gary W. Cooper 110/111. These results fall within the expected range for the known relationship.
· Patriarch is Peter Fyfe of Dundee, Angus, Scotland, born 1815, died 29 Jun 1839.
· A 43 marker haplotype from SMGF.org is available on the “Deep Ancestral Haplotypes” tab of the Reynolds-Cooper Y-DNA spreadsheet, from someone who is presumably a 6th or 7th generation descendant of Peter Fyfe.
Deep Ancestral Haplotype
· See the “Deep Ancestral Haplotype” tab of the Reynolds-Cooper Y-DNA spreadsheet.
· The Fyfe haplotype, as well as the derived Cooper and Reynolds Patriarch haplotypes, were used to derive a 111 marker haplotype for their presumed common ancestor.
· 109 markers could be deduced, two were ambiguous.
· The Fyfe haplotype matches the Deep Ancestral Haplotype 43/43.
· The Cooper and Reynolds Patriarch haplotypes both match the Deep Ancestral haplotype 105/109.
· Taking the two ambiguous markers into account, the Cooper and Reynolds Patriarch haplotypes could be at best a 107/111 match, or at worst a 103/111 match with the Deep Ancestral haplotype.
· Results are consistent with a common Patriarch born about 1000-1400, presumably in the British Isles. The assumption is that the Patriarch was born prior to the adoption of surnames, and in addition to the current known Cooper, Fyfe, and Reynolds descendants, descendants with other surnames may eventually be found as well.
Cluster members belong to “Group 1” of the FTDNA R1b DYS464X Fractional Allele Project.
All trademarks and brands are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2008-2011 David F Reynolds
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
Last Modification: 7 July 2011.